Wednesday, October 29, 2008

We got a dog yesterday!

Yes, the subject line is telling the truth! We got a dog yesterday through one of the teachers at work. She and her husband found the dog, and no one claimed him, but they couldn't keep him because they travel a lot, so...we took him. Actually I took him, because Ammon is out of town until tomorrow, so he hasn't even seen the dog yet. He is about 1 year old, a yellow lab mix (we aren't really sure what he's mixed with though), and he really loves to be patted and loved, and is so excited to be here in our home. Almost as excited as I am! I took him on a long walk this afternoon around the neighborhood so he could get to know the place and to get a little of his excitement out. He seems to be pretty pooped right now as he is laying by me with his eyes closed as I type on the computer. I'm thinking of possibly naming him Jack, as in Jack-O-Lantern, since we got him so close to Halloween. Any thoughts or input on the name? He is already house trained, and hasn't had any accidents, and I am just trying to make him understand that he isn't supposed to be on the couch, since I've caught him on it a couple of times now. I'm going to try leaving him in the yard during the day tomorrow, since I tried leaving him in the house today, I'll see what he does better at. He did really well in the house, aside from crunching the blinds in our front windows. I think he was trying to look at the window to find out where I'd gone after I left for work. When I came home from work at lunch and saw that, I made sure to pull the blinds up before I left again. He is such a good dog, and he did especially well on the walk. He didn't pull on the leash, and he pretty much ignored all the dogs that barked at us, except for one that looked like if it hadn't been in the fence it would have killed both of us (how can you ignore that?). I'm excited to have him and hope that it will all work out beautifully!

No comments: