Monday, March 2, 2009

Prickly Pear Jelly

Since I've started using blogger, I haven't been using my old Multiply site, and I had a lot of great stuff posted there. So, I hope you all don't mind, but I am going to start posting some of my recipes and other fun stuff that I would like to have available. Enjoy! Here is my Prickly Pear Jelly recipe:

Prickly Pear Jelly

About 6 half-pints


I love making this jelly, which means that I pick the pears, cook them and mash them for the juice, strain it and then make the jelly. It is delicious!

Ingredients:
3 cups prickly pear juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 package powdered pectin
5 1/4 cups sugar

Directions:
Combine prickly pear juice, lemon juice and pectin in large pot (be sure to stir the pectin well until it desolves). Bring to boil and cook for 3 minutes. Add sugar and bring to a hard boil for 2 more minutes. Pour into half-pint canning jars. I usually don't use a water bath, I just simmer the lids and rings for a couple minutes and then seal them when the jelly first goes in the jar. The process of cooling will seal the jars.

No comments: