Monday, August 16, 2010

Whole Wheat Bread Recipe

I found this recipe while perusing Preparedness Matters the other day and decided to give it a try. The first time I made it I actually used amounts from a different recipe and used the cooking method from this recipe. It worked pretty well, but my KitchenAid mixer couldn't quite handle the increased volume. I tried this recipe today and it was perfect! The mixer did so well and the loaves turned out perfectly, aside from being kind of large in the top. They cut so nicely for sandwiches and have the most wonderful flavor! I love that I don't have to spend hours letting them rise, and can have a craving for whole wheat bread and make it a reality in so little time! I think me and this recipe are going to be very good friends.

 Whole Wheat Bread in an hour & a half

6 cups whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons yeast
1/4 cup high gluten flour
3 Tablespoons dough enhancer
3 cups very warm water
4 Tablespoons oil
4 Tablespoons honey or sugar
2 teaspoons of salt

Mix 3 cups wheat flour with gluten, dough enhancer, yeast and warm water; mix 1 minute. Cover bowl and let sponge 10 minutes.

Add oil, honey or sugar, and salt. Quickly add remaining flour one cup at a time until the dough forms a ball and cleans from the sides of the bowl (depends on the humidity whether you'll need to add more). Knead 7-10 minutes. Roll into 2 or 3 loaves (depending on pan size). Preheat oven to 200 degrees and put the loaves in. Rise dough in oven until double, 20 - 30 minutes (I think I did 25 minutes today and they were a little too high, think muffin top) (you can also just rise the loaves on the counter if you have time). Leave in oven. Turn heat to 350 degrees and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from pans to cool. Coat with butter.

No comments: