Monday, July 18, 2011

Kettle Corn



Sweet & Salty Kettle Corn
Yesterday, Ammon was in charge of a youth fireside for our ward. He decided to have the kids watch the movie To This End Was I Born, a wonderful movie about the last days of Christ's life & His ministry on Earth & in the Spirit World. It is very moving & wonderfully done! He also wanted to have popcorn for the movie, so I ended up making 7 batches of popcorn in our stove-top popper. Ammon had the idea to try making some kettle corn, which we've never tried before. He thought I'd made it, but I've definitely never put sugar in my popcorn popper. So, what to do? Go online of course. I looked at a few recipes for Kettlecorn & they all seemed fairly similar, so I finally settled on this one. It's pretty much exactly how I make our regular popcorn, plus some sugar. And let me tell you, it was wonderful! It's not too sweet, & after the popcorn has cooled a bit you can break it all apart so it's back to individual kernels, rather than a giant glob of sticky popcorn. It really isn't sticky at all & oh so fun to eat! So, here's the recipe:
Ingredients

1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon coarse salt


Directions:
In a large pot with a tight-fitting lid (or a whirly popper like mine), heat the oil over medium-high heat. add the popcorn. When the oils sizzles, sprinkle the sugar over the kernels. Cover and shake the pan until the popping slows down, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and toss with the salt.

Oh, & just so you know, 4 batches of regular popcorn & 3 of kettlecorn makes way too much popcorn for 15 people to eat. Leftovers!

1 comment:

Kellie said...

great idea. my son is a kettle corn fanatic :) many thanks!