Monday, February 16, 2009

Canning Chicken

My mom and I were able to purchase boneless skinless chicken breasts in bulk for a really good deal, so we decided to can most of it. It is so amazing how simple it is to can meat, so I will explain it really quickly here. We used pint jars.
If they will fit you can put an entire breast into the jar whole, or you can cut it up into chunks (it doesn't really matter because it will just fall apart after it's cooked).
Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to each pint. Some people add water to their chicken, but I've found that it tends to produce it's own juice & is plenty full, so I never add water. Leave about 1/2 inch of headspace.
Wipe the rim of each jar clean with a damp cloth. Put on the lids & rings and place in your pressure canner. We were able to double stack ours, putting a trivet in between the two levels.
Before
Pressure can for 75 minutes (90 minutes for quarts) at 15 pounds of pressure.
After the 75 minutes are up, turn off the stove and move the pot off the burner to cool. Do not release all the steam, just let it cool down naturally. My favorite pressure canner (pictured below) is the Presto 23-Quart Pressure Canner and Cooker Just click on the link to check it out on Amazon where it's a best seller!

During
Once the pressure is completely gone, open it up and you have cooked, canned chicken, ready for casseroles, tacos, quesadillas, soup and whatever else you want! It is so tasty, I could eat it straight out of the jar!
Before
After(Yeah, it looks a little gross, but it tastes wonderful!)

2 comments:

Randi said...

I must admit that does look pretty gross but that is pretty cool at the same time.

You do so many cool things and give me lots of ideas. I love your craftiness.

Caitlin said...

It really is so easy, and so tasty! I made chicken noodle soup with one of the jars that didn't seal, and it was great! Then, I canned two quarts worth of extras.