Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Nursing Cover Project

A friend of mine gave me a nursing cover at my baby shower (now if we could just get Sharon nursing) and I thought it was so handy that I decided to try to make one myself. It didn't look hard but I just needed something to use in place of the bendable plastic that keeps the front part open so you can see the baby. The one she gave me is an Udder Cover (yeah, I know, make a bunch of stressed lactating women feel even more like cows) and is pretty great. I just wanted an extra & to know if I could make them as baby shower gifts. I was able to find some 1/2" fabric covered poly boning like they use in dress shirt collars to keep them stiff and it works really well. I bought some similar to this, but got it from Wal-mart. I completed my handmade one this afternoon & it turned out great!Here are pictures of the two covers, one is the store-bought & the other is handmade. Can you tell the difference? The rectangle body started at about 36"x26" including the seam allowances. The only other tools needed were two 1" D-rings.

4 comments:

Hazel said...

Super cute! So easy too. Love it. It is a great shower gift.

Susie said...

I'm trying to remember which one I saw you with but can't. I think you made the polka-dot one. Either way--you are so awesome! Good job.

Chris Christensen said...

Those are so fun and so easy to make! Boning works the best that I've found, but I've heard of some people even using plastic headbands and the plastic from a gallon ice cream bucket! I also put a little baby washcloth or a piece of terry cloth in one of the corners to use to either tuck nursing pads inside or to wipe off babies mouth when he's done nursing.

Oh goodness. I just realized that I am signed in under my husband's account. This is Nichole Christensen, by the way!!! :)

Randi said...

That's so neat! I'd love to learn to make that for baby showers! The only reason I know which one is the store bought one is because I bought that one for Tatum before she had her baby. Its super cute. But I LOVE the fabric you picked for the one you made. That is so sweet Caitlin.