Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Easy Skillet Bread

I found this recipe for easy skillet bread on a blog today. I made a batch of it in about 20 minutes, including the prep time. It is wonderful! Here is the recipe for your enjoyment!
2 cups flour
1 T. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 1/2 cups milk
2-4 T. butter
optional mix ins: cheese, bacon bits, green chilis, cornmeal, taco seasoning...use your imagination
Stir together the dry ingredients, then stir in the milk until a smooth batter forms. Place an ovenproof skillet in the oven while it's heating up and put the butter in. Once the butter is nicely melted and bubbly, pour the batter into the skillet. (please remember to use a hotpad when removing the skillet from the oven, and also when putting in back in with the batter. I forgot once I had the batter in, and now my hand hates me) Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the top is nicely golden brown (mine wasn't golden brown on top, but the bottom was well down and nicely crisp, just make sure the top is firm). You may either slice it into wedges to serve, or simply tear off chunks...yum.
I did add a handful of cheese to the batch today and it is so tasty!

No comments: