Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Saltwater Taffy

Who doesn't love salt water taffy? I mean, it is just so good, how could you not like it! Well, I got a recipe for saltwater taffy in an email yesterday, and decided it was something that I would have to try, immediately. So, I made sure that I had everything for the recipe, and I set to work.
Recipe: (you need a candy thermometer)
1 cup sugar
2 T. cornstarch
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
1/2 t. salt
2 T. butter
2 t. vanilla

Grease a 9x9x2 (or an 8x8 if that is all you have) baking pan. In a 1 1/2 quart saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Stir in corn syrup, water, & salt. Add butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and sugar is completely dissolved. Continue cooking, without stirring, until temperature reaches 260 degrees on a candy thermometer, or until a small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water forms a ball that is hard enough to hold its shape, yet pliant. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla. Pour into prepared pan. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Butter fingers and pull taffy until it has a satin-like finish and light color. Pull into long strips, 1/2 inch wide. With scissors, cut into 1-inch pieces (best done while the taffy is still warm, otherwise you might break your scissors). Wrap individual candies in wax paper. Makes 1 pound. (I would suggest cutting your wax paper squares while the candy is cooking, since you don't have to stir for awhile. I didn't and so when I went to cut the rest of the taffy, it was a little hard).
Enjoy, it is so good! Be sure to suck on it for a little while before you bite into it, otherwise you might pull a filling out.

No comments: