Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Homemade Yogurt

I'm sure that some of you are a little concerned after reading this post's title, but let me just tell you, this stuff is so good & so easy to make! I couldn't believe it was so easy after reading this tutorial at JCasaHandmade, so I decided to give it a try. I did use the greek plain yogurt, mainly because it was one of the only plain yogurts in a smaller size that I could find yesterday. I just used the regular old 2% milk, not organic like she suggests, because that stuff is expensive, & regular was only $1.68 a gallon.
When I heated the milk it didn't really get a skin on it because I didn't want to leave it without stirring for too long so that it wouldn't get burned. I just heated it until it was getting close to boiling. I was so excited this morning when I remembered that I had fresh yogurt in the fridge.
I don't know about you, but eating plain yogurt plain isn't very appealing to me, so I added a little bit of sugar and cut up fresh strawberries with just some instant oats to go in it. It was so good! For my second bowl (I told you it was good) I just added a few spoonfuls of homemade blackberry jam. I'm sure you could add any fresh fruit or jam that you want, I just happened to have those on hand. I am really excited about being able to make my own yogurt because it is so much cheaper to do it this way, and it is so thick and creamy! I can't wait for Ammon to try it!

No comments: